Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Del Rio Civic Center / Cast my Vote

Mornings have been cloudy, gray, and humid. This morning was not the exception. I wheeled the trash can to the curb and in that short time worked up a sweat. The cats followed me meowing in unison demanding to be fed...they have me well trained!

I needed to go pick up the mail at the P.O. Box but true to form did not make my way into town until 3:00 p.m.  I had so much mail I could barely take it out of the box...when was the last time I was here?  I needed to pick up some items from HEB but first I decided to go check out our Civic Center where early voting is taking place instead of at the Val Verde County Courthouse. 

As I have mentioned previously there is little to no information in our local paper that prints twice a week, I do not have a radio except in my car and the only station I like is from Ciudad Acuña and of course, they talk about what is going on in Mexico, not in Del Rio.  I, therefore, had no idea how many people are early voting or how long the lines were.


With social distancing, I was afraid that with our high temperatures (they have been in the '90s) and the fact that there are no trees at the Civic Center like there are at the Val Verde County Courthouse I would have to bring an umbrella and a chair to wait in line.


I had no intention of casting my vote today but when I got to the parking lot there were more campaign vehicles than voters. I could not pass up this opportunity.


The Police Headquarters are in the back of the Civic Center and when you drove in they were upfront and told you which way to go. When you went into the building the Val Verde County Sheriff Deputies were manning that post. So there is no reason not to feel safe when you come to vote.

Much like the last time I voted everyone was in full PPE and they even offered free gloves (they looked like the ones that come with hair dye kits) since I was not planning on voting I did not bring my own and used theirs instead.  

I did not have to wait in line and was given a ballot immediately as in Del Rio we do not use voting machines just regular paper ballots which I think are the best. They had long tables separated by cardboard inserts and you chose where you sat taking into account social distancing. I think there were about 25 people voting at the time I was there. I was out of there in 15 minutes only because I double-checked my ballot twice.


I feel so much better now! I only wish my Houston friends were as fortunate as some have had to stand in line for a couple of hours.  My neighbor (in Harris County) felt lucky to only have had an hour and fifteen-minute wait.


Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.



Aunty Acid Saying of the Day


12 comments:

  1. Paper Ballots should be used in all elections. It would stop outside interference. Congratulations on voting.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While new technology helps in particular in cities with large populations it sometimes comes at a cost. I agree paper ballots should be used in most elections at least it would give us a paper trail in case of hacking.

      Delete
  2. Seems like they should restrict those campaign vehicles and signs from being near a polling place, no matter the candidate. Kudos to law enforcement for guarding the polls. Voters should have clear access.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I zoomed in on the signs that is why they appear closer than they are. In Texas Electioneering is not allowed within 100 feet of the entrance to a polling place.

      Delete
  3. So glad you were able to vote in good circumstances. It is a crime to limit the available places for voting in so many places.
    I also enjoyed your previous post. I don't know why it would not accept my reply. Every so often it just does that. I have heard the same on some other blogs.
    We had snow here this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I did my civic duty and got my vote counted. I think Governor Abbott and the Texas Supreme Court are going to regret what they have done to our fellow Texans by having suppressed the vote...we will NOT forget!

      I just went to look through the Spam Comments to see if your comment somehow ended up there but it did not. Sometimes when I write a comment and hit the PREVIEW button my comment disappears but you can get it back if you hit the <--- back arrow on your browser.

      Snow already? We had a high of 90 degrees today. While I am not a fan we could certainly use some here to cool us down and to kill the darn weeds.

      Enjoy the snow!

      Delete
  4. Yea! You voted! On paper even! I've driving by our local place a couple of times....lines. So I'll try again tomorrow, when the temperature at 7AM will be 68, down to 50 by noon! I don't mind the cold; just can't stand up a long time at my age (try 15 minutes, hah.) Meanwhile, I do have my paper ballot I received in the mail, so can always drop it off. I just kind of want my vote to be recorded on the machines down there! Seems like a lot of people on both sides are holding their breaths on this one. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The circumstances were right so I took the opportunity as I have no idea what the lines look like earlier in the day. Actually, I had planned on going tomorrow since the same cold front that is going to hit you will hit us as well...even if only for just one day :-(

      I certainly am holding my breath...I do not want to assume anything...I learned my lesson four years ago.

      Delete
  5. I know you feel good about getting your voting done. They have a web page to go and check on your mail in votes. It told me when they received mine and each step that it went through and that it has been counted.
    Can't wait to see what you have to say about the debate tonight if you watched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bet you also felt a sense of relief to know your vote was counted and that you were able to follow its progress through their webpage.

      To be honest I did not want to watch the Presidential Debate this evening but I felt it was my duty as an American citizen to do so.

      First I will start with the positive points:

      1) At least I was able to hear what they were saying
      2) It was somewhat civil

      Negatives:

      1) Trump was his same bullying self
      2) Too many lies from Donald - he is still being fact-checked by the networks
      3) One lie from Biden with regards to his prior stand on fracking
      4) They did not mute the microphones

      In the end, Donald seemed pissed off and I could see him mouth "bullshit" as he walked off with Malaria...jajajaja only Gypsy blog readers...which I know you are one would get that joke :D

      Delete
  6. I received my California paper ballot in the mail. The print is smaller than I am comfortable with, so I took it along with me when my son drove me to an appointment, and while we waited he read each issue to me and marked the ballot for me. We dropped it into the mail on the way home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a wonderful son Gypsy! I am glad you were able to cast and mail your ballot.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.