Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Friday, March 20, 2020

Day 6 / Loud knock on the front door

Last night we received even more rain too bad I do not have any more containers to store it so all those gallons went to waste.  It was a warm humid day that started out with lots of clouds and then gave way to some sunshine before the cloudy skies took over again. We had a low of 54 and a high of 87 degrees.

I was in the kitchen when I heard a very loud knock on the front door. WTH? Is it the FBI coming to pay a visit? The front gate was closed so who could it be? I had the television on so for me to hear it...it was loud! I went to the living room and I could see...as much as you can see through the beveled glass door...a person in a green jacket with an orange stripe? or was it an orange jacket with a green stripe?

For a second I thought it was Ramón (not his real name) Juliet's owner and former Walter's owner..whom I always see wearing a similar jacket. Though after much thought I believe it is green with a white reflective stripe when he feeds her after coming home from work in the afternoon. Did he want to bring her to graze?  It turned out NOT to be him but a Spectrum employee with an Irish accent wanting permission to access the pole in the back yard.


He said he could drive through the downed fence but thinking of the ruts his truck would leave I told him he could come through the main gate. I tried to keep my six-foot distance from him as after all I was on Day 6 of my self-isolation.

He was out there for a while. I asked him if the Internet had gone down he said they were having problems with a portion of the cable ever since the fire that burned down a shed a few lots down.  Actually, it wasn't a shed it was a house that our late neighbor had built for his daughter and granddaughter in the back portion of his property. It was burned to the ground on the 4th of July two years ago due to stupid people popping fireworks.


Yeap, he left ruts but at the same time, he also ran over dried branches. Liked that he drove to the end of the property and then turned his truck around rather than trying to back out.


Ran over some cactus as well and saved me the trouble.


Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.



Aunty Acid Saying of the Day





12 comments:

  1. Sounds like he did a lot of yard work for you. Maybe you should have asked him to drive around, LOL.
    Be Safe practicing social distancing and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a possibility Spectrum might come back. I told him he could come through the downed fence which is how he was able to walk in to the property and knock on the door.

      You and Kathy stay safe as well.

      Delete
  2. You, looking on the bright side. Like your sense of humor! Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We call that kind of knocking a "Cop Knock". Unnerving. An Irish dude in your area? Has to be a culture shock on both ends there.
    Love the Aunty Acid. So true. Every now and then we hear from a guy on my radio show named Coach Mitchell. A real coach. But he has a screw loose and just runs his mouth. Then, invariably, calls back during the same show and goes at it again. People listen from all over the world. La Tasse de Cafe just won another big award for our show and then this Bozo just makes an ass out of himself. I can't imagine letting a student near this man.
    I bounce back and forth between being happy with my preps and then terrified it is pathetic and inadequate. And I am never terrified of anything. These proposed checks will only cause hyperinflation and the odds of more food being here at the same time the checks arrive..plus I am staying in...
    What to do? Just play it one day at a time, I suppose, and remind myself to be grateful for what I have instead of lamenting what I do not.
    Stay safe, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the appropriate term...a "Cop Knock"...thank you, and the fact that I had the front gate closed. I was even going to put a chain and lock on it but could not find the darn set of locks I recently purchased...I swear my CRS gets worst by the day!

      I am "Houston streetwise" and hearing his accent made the bells go off in my head. What is a six-foot-plus, nice looking burly strawberry blond young guy doing in Del Rio? Better yet why after two going on three years of a house fire are they finally trying to solve a cable issue?

      I know...I am very leary of things...there is a Spanish saying "Piensa mal y acertaras" which more or less translates to "Think the worst and you will be in the ballpark".

      Well if he was some kind of "cop" he will be sadly disappointed as we hardly talk on our landline much less the cellphone and the only webpages I regularly frequent online are my two blogs.

      I still have the instruction you typed up for me and one of these days I am going to surprise you and call your radio talk show. Too bad about Coach Mitchell.

      I am on the fence on the proposed checks. I feel there are people that really need them like those workers whose industries have been disproportionately affected and who live paycheck to paycheck in high rent cities and who may be evicted and probably can not even buy food for their families, pay their electric, water, and gas bills.

      Then there are others that will also get a check but do not need it as they may already be receiving Social Security and/or pension checks and are also eligible to withdraw from their 401-K's. All this is going to costs trillions of dollars and leave a heavy debt for our future generations.

      I must say that for the most part, I am extremely happy with my prep and the fact that I knew this was coming. Heck, you and I have been sounding the alarms for a while and I can bet several rolled their eyes after reading our views on the subject. I am not saying "everyone" because a few readers did prep not because of us but rather because they do not trust this administration and/or because they have always tried to be prepared for any and all emergencies.

      You and I have also sounded the alarm of the possibility of the Presidential elections being postponed using the Coronavirus as an excuse and it is well within his power after having invoked the Emergency Powers Act.

      Sorry for the long reply...hope the "Irish Guy" is happy...wink, wink :)

      Delete
  4. Pee Ess...I saw Terlingua is virtually shut down and closing most places. How awful for the folks there who depend on tourists for their livelihood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea thank you for letting me know.

      Delete
  5. Next time he comes tie some rakes to the back bumper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jajajajajajaja :D

      Thank you JO...I needed that!

      Delete
  6. Good thinking, JO!
    I love an Irish accent, but I also love a Mexican accent.

    I have never liked fireworks but to set them off in a dry area is monumentally stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just a suspicious person by nature Gypsy...I suppose there could be a perfectly good reason for an Irishman to be in this part of the world. Like he met an American girl from Del Rio that happened to be in the Armed Forces.

      I have always HATED fireworks I wish there was a total ban on them in particular in dry parched areas.

      I love men with an Argentinian accent :)

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.