Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, March 14, 2020

Not ready to hunker down yet

Yesterday I posed a question to my readership and yet I did not know what my own answer would be. I suppose that only means that I am NOT ready to hunker down yet.

I still need to buy cat food though they have enough for about a month and in a pinch, I could feed them white rice. Need to go by the hardware store and pick up some A/C filters as with or without Coronavirus the heat will soon be upon us.

Headed into town around 8:00 a.m. and even turned in to HEB's parking lot only to see it was almost full. They must have run out of grocery carts as I saw people carrying packs of water. The interesting thing was that they were only carrying ONE multi-pack which means there were restrictions in place always a good thing to keep hoarders at bay!  I hate crowds and I hate waiting in long lines so headed to the post office instead to pick up the mail.

The post office is near HEB #1 otherwise known as "Little HEB" so drove by to see if it was as packed as Big HEB. To my delight, it wasn't and there were plenty of parking spaces. I do not know how long this is all going to last and when I finally decide to hunker down I will not be able to come buy my serranos or garlic. On this occasion, there were no serranos or garlic to be had! So picked up one of my favorite hot sauce Tabasco the big bottle.


Headed to the Dairy aisle and was surprised they were almost out of eggs so I decided to purchase a dozen even though they were not on my list.


I also grabbed two packages of cooked ham. When I passed the beer aisle I had no intention of purchasing any so I went to check on the water situation. I was only interested in taking a picture when I heard the clerk telling a customer that as far as the HEB brand of water was concerned it was all they had left. So I asked the guy if he would place two on my cart (that was the limit) since there is no way I can lift a 32 bottle multi-pack.


I went down other aisles for a picture op for the blog.  I had no idea they sold baby water...but they were out.


There were a few rolls of paper towels left...



However, if people went looking for toilet paper there wasn't a single roll to be had...


Returned to see if they had taken all the HEB brand water and they sure had...


The water is next to a small section of wine so out of the blue decided to purchase some. I then passed the beer aisle and decided why not buy some as well :)

I recalled I needed milk...with all the spirits I bought almost forgot...jajaja :D

This is my shopping cart at checkout came to a total of $62.82 for 11 items...money well spent.  I usually tear open large packages of bottle water or 30-packs of beer in the parking lot as I can not lift them and then place them one by one in my ice chest or free cardboard boxes I get from the store. Today I lucked out and a manager that was rounding up grocery carts asked me if I needed assistance...thank you, Sir!



Today we had a low of 70 and a high of 78 degrees.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day



14 comments:

  1. Even though you plan to Hunker Down make certain that you get out in the Fresh Air and Sunlight as much as possible as it is known for its healing powers. Just avoid contact with others who unknowingly could be carriers.
    The pictures of the Store Shelves resemble those around our stores.
    Your supplies should help to keep you healthy.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the solitude.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick, I think you misunderstood...I have NOT made that decision YET. We live out in the country. While my Mom's house is small it sits on a large plot of land surrounded by an equally large cinder block fence that keeps people out except the part that collapsed a few years ago after we received 6.5 inches of rain in one night and where the neighbor's two small pesky dogs come to play in the yard as they have none of their own.

      I am always outside feeding the cats, hanging clothes, doing yard work I am not isolated inside the house but at the same time, I am safe.

      Delete
  2. MsB, you said that you have an annoying popup from Daily Mail. I have been reading the Daily Mail website everyday for probably 20 years. I don’t think I receive the popup that you do. I am sure the popup is not coming from Daily Mail but from some 3rd party ad service.
    If it is from some ad service, it might have been downloaded along with (attached to) some program that you downloaded. If not, it might be something your browser loaded.
    The first thing that I would look at is the program list for your computer. This is easy to find and you will only be viewing the list of programs on your computer, not adding or deleting them, so it is very safe. Viewing the program list might (but probably won’t) find the offending program but it is a place to start.
    I assume that you are using a Microsoft product and not Apple.
    If so, you probably have Windows 10 Home as your operating system.
    These are the instructions for viewing the programs on your computer if you are using Microsoft Windows 10 Home.
    1. Left-click on the Windows icon in the extreme lower left of your screen. It will open the Start Window.
    2. Scroll down to the “Windows System” folder (it will be near the bottom).
    3. Open the “Windows System” folder by left-clicking on the “down-arrow” on the right of the words “Windows System”.
    4. Left-click on “Control Panel” to open the Control Panel Window (menu).
    5. Left-click on “Programs” to open the Programs Window (menu).
    6. Left-click on “Programs and Features” to open the list of programs on your computer.
    You should see the programs listed under the “Name” column and the date they were loaded under the “Installed On” column.
    You might not be familiar with some of the program names so you might have to do an Internet search to see what they do. I like to keep my list by date instead of alphabetical order so I know what program was loaded last. You can toggle between oldest to newest or newest to oldest by left-clicking on the words “Installed On”. If you want the list in alphabetical order left-click on the word “Name”. If you click “Name” again, it will list them in reverse alphabetical order. If you left-click on “Name” again, it will change it back to alphabetical order. The same thing with “Installed On”. You can toggle between oldest to newest or newest to oldest by left-clicking on “Installed On”.
    You probably won’t find the offending program here but it is the best place to start just in case it is there and easy to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the popup subject I download & run this free program often to check for malware, it seems to work well...
      https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

      Delete
    2. MsB, the program that Rob recommended is a well-known, safe, and useful program to download so don’t be afraid to try it. It might solve your problem.

      [Rob, I used this program years ago. It was released in 2006. I have not used it recently since, I believe, my security suite does the same thing (hopefully, maybe). It would be interesting to see if it caught anything my security suite did not but since everything is running good, I don’t want to mess up a good thing by trying it again. The only program related to security or system resources that I load is CCleaner. I use CCleaner to remove hidden temporary Internet files. Before I loaded CCleaner, a scan of all my files would take about 9 hours to run a full scan back in the old days. If you are not using it (or one of the competing programs like it) you might want to read up on it. I really like it. I have been using it for ten yeas without any problems.]

      Delete
    3. Flyingdj - thank you for taking the time to write all this down. It is a bit much to absorb in one reading since I am "computer challenged" but when I have time will certainly put it to good use.

      Delete
    4. Rob - at your suggestion last year I downloaded said program and it did help. I was able to get rid of another crawler that I also picked up on Pinterest it had to do with Prepping and was driving me as crazy as Daily Mail is doing now.

      Delete
  3. We have the same box of wine sitting on the refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still on the fence about staying put. I am well stocked and need nothing. But tomorrow I have a dental apt. and I don't think I will schedule another one until this mess is over. I thought of canceling it but since it is Sunday today I can't do that and don't want to be charged for the no show visit. We don't have many cases here but once you have more than one then it will spread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still on the fence as well. I have a doctor's appointment next week that has taken me a while to schedule and I am debating whether to cancel or not.

      Delete
  5. You said you don't accept the Daily Mail as a credible source for the possibility of Mexico closing its border because of coronavirus.

    Will you accept any of these as a source that you believe?

    1) Aljazeera
    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/coronavirus-mexico-border-crossing-limits-200313151403402.html

    2) Rolling Stone
    https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/mexico-considers-border-restrictions-american-coronavirus-967448/

    3) U.S. News & World Report
    https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-03-13/mexico-could-consider-taking-measures-at-us-border-to-slow-coronavirus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you serious...Aljazeera?...you are starting to scare me! I would not click on that link for fear of having the FBI knocking at my door in record time.

      AMLO as the President of Mexico is also known by is not even taking precautions of his own to keep safe. He was heavily criticized for having a rally, kissing, hugging children, seniors, shaking hands and posing for selfies this weekend.

      The Coronavirus precautions are changing daily not just in our country but all over the world. However, I believe the United States would close its border with Mexico before Mexico would close the border with us.

      Ultimately if Mexico were to close its border it would not affect me in any way shape or form.

      Delete
    2. Huh? I gave Aljazeera my social security number, my credit card number including the three-digit-code on the back of the card, and, my mother’s maiden name, knowing it was safer with them than with FOX news.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.