Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, March 8, 2020

A cloudy, gray and miserable day / HEB reasurring E-mail

It was a cool and drizzly morning when I went outside to look for the boys so I could serve them breakfast...only not to find them...who knows where they were at.  It was much too cold for my liking so I went back to bed. I woke up a couple of hours later to a flashing alarm clock...really, another power outage?  We have had several this week!

On the upside, I am glad that Daylight Savings Time no longer affects me as it did when I was younger and working. I suppose a lot has to do with the fact that I am an insomniac so I do not have a regular sleeping schedule like normal people. Another positive is that it gets dark later and I can drive back from San Antonio or any other city without having to book a hotel as I have poor night vision.

I find it ironic that HEB sent me an e-mail reassuring me and its many customers about all the steps they are taking to keep their customers safe and to make sure we have access to the supplies we need to combat the coronavirus.  I have yet to see such communication from our local authorities.

I mentioned on another blog that I am grateful for the years I spent in Houston, Texas and how the City of Houston, as well as Harris County, instilled in its citizenry a philosophy of always being prepared be it for tropical storms, hurricanes or severe flooding. I credit them for making it easier for me to be prepared to handle this current health crisis.

I have supplies on hand to last four months though I think I could stretch it to six months or a little more. While I have more room in my Houston house than I currently do at Mom's house, I have begun using the non-working cars as storage as they are parked in the garage/carport and for now, the heat is not a factor.

Yesterday after visiting Home Depot I paid a visit to Dollar Tree. I remembered one of their employees told me some time ago to make sure I came early on Saturday or Sunday as they try to be fully stocked for their Mexican customers from Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila.

I heeded said advice and was able to pick up Disinfectant Wipes as well as Spray Disinfectant that was sold out on my last visit.


Rob, if you are reading me I am sorry to say that a lot more people must have known about the homemade hand disinfectant hack as they were sold out of Aloe Vera gelNot worried though, I have plenty on hand.

Since I am a Nosey Rosie, I was looking at what people were buying. Observed that people from Mexico were purchasing regular stuff they have always bought while we Americans were buying up things to survive this pandemic.

Today we had a low of 61 and a high of 74 degrees.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day




14 comments:

  1. I had been stocking up for the past couple of years so it wasn't difficult to fill in the gaps to be self-sufficient for a few months. Of course, I hope it isn't as bad is it sounds like it will be - time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think when you have a culture of being self-sufficient many things fall into place that might not be the case for others.

      I too hope it is not as bad as predicted but at this early stage, it is difficult to prognosticate.

      Delete
  2. It seems that most just figure it won't happen to them. Like you said having learned to be Minimalist we've learned to hunker down.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the solitude.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick, I am far from being a "Minimalist"...Houston taught me to be prepared for any eventual weather event by stocking up on staples and not waiting until the last minute like most people do.

      Delete
  3. I finally quit procrastinating this morning and went shopping. The shelves were well stocked. I always have a good stock of things at least I try. At the check out I mentioned that the store was well stocked so I assumed peoples folks weren't panic buying. She said they did but seems to be over now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that JO, wish that was the case here at least for some high demand items like hand sanitizer and face masks though I have those too but it all depends on how long this will last.

      Del Rio only has one grocery store...HEB...and one Walmart. Though I must credit Dollar Tree for having more items on stock than the other two.

      Delete
  4. I was in San Antonio for 8 days. We have now spent 41 days there in the past 10 months. We stopped at Guadalupe River State Park on the way there and hiked along the river. That place was beautiful. This is their website that has some photos and a video:

    https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/guadalupe-river

    I have a comment about something you purchased this past week. You said you bought a new mouse. I have used touch screen, touch pad, mouse, and a trackball as an input device. N has a touch screen and she loves it. I hate it. I will use a touch pad if I have to but I try not to. I like a mouse but after using a trackball I will probably never go back to a mouse. A trackball is probably not for everyone but I want to thank the salesperson at Best Buy that talked me into getting a trackball instead of a mouse. N saw me using it and said, “no wonder you like the trackball, the way you zip real fast around the screen”.

    I went to my H-E-B yesterday and wrote down these prices for you:
    jalapenos $0.65/pound
    serranos $1.28/pound
    habaneros $5.97/pound

    I will hurry up and try to post Part 2 of my planned camping fuel before the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys must really like San Antonio to have spent 41 days there in the past 10 months. Thank you for the link I enjoyed the pictures and video.

      Flyingdj as you have observed I am not very much into technology. I have never even heard about a trackball until this evening.

      I loved my touchpad but after my laptop died I bought a touch screen desktop so I could make the pictures our family sends larger. Another reason I bought a mouse was its low cost, I only paid $4.99 for it and as you know I am a bargain hunter!

      I bought serranos at $1.28 today at HEB. I seldom buy habaneros as they cost too much even in Mexico and now we can't even bring them across. Though I do buy Habanero sauce which runs much cheaper.

      Delete
  5. P.S. I posted the above at least three different times. Each time I clicked on "Preview" it erased everything so I started over three times. The final time, I skipped "Preview" and clicked on "Publish" and it looks like it posted it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger has been having a problem with that for a while now, it is not exclusive to my blog. I have had the same thing happen to me in the other blogs I comment on.

      The simple fix is to hit the back button or arrow on the left top side of your screen and you will be able to recoup your message.

      Hitting Preview sometimes will do that. Wish Blogger would find the solution for once and for all.

      Delete
  6. I thought of one more item that I bought at my H-E-B that might impress you. They had avocados for 29 cents EACH. I bought 12 so we had plenty to take to San Antonio. I should have bought 100 at that price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that did impress me! My HEB had them for well over a dollar and the large ones even more expensive. I bought mine a while back at Walmart for around .67 cents (?)...at this late hour and with my CRS...I can not confirm the correct price but they were much cheaper than at HEB.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.